Tuesday, January 11, 2005

what's the easiest way to make god laugh

so i thought i had the next couple of months figured out. i was just starting a pretty well paying long term temp job, training for a couple of weeks and then taking over at the end of the month. in the meantime i had two interviews, one for a jwj job and a phone interview for a receptionist position with the National Abortion Federation. No problem right? whatever happened i'd have a steady income for the next three months no matter what.

except of course that i came into my temp job in the afternoon on monday, having taken the morning off for my interviews, only to discover that Mary, the very pregnant half of the two person office i was starting at, was feeling seriously ill, and was leaving that moment until further notice, possibly until she had the baby. she was kind enough to take about four minutes to brief me on my responsibilities and then was out of the door and on to the doctors. I've done nothing since then, despite having a desk full of things she needs me to do, cause i don't know/remember how to do any of it. i come in at 8 and leave at 6 (with no lunch break, mind you, unless my boss takes a lunch break, because i can't leave him alone in the office because he can't answer his own telephone) and feel overwhelmed and clueless the whole fucking day. and taking over this early also means that i can't schedule a second interview for the NAF job because of course i can't leave the office. same goes for therapy, thanks to my shrink's 8-5 m-f schedule. great.

oh yeah, and the whole reason i took this job was because i was told it was three months, except now it seems like it is going to be a month and a half, tops, because the woman i'm covering for can't stand to stay out of the office any longer.

sweet.

remind me never to get my hopes up about anything again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home